The Heart of the Village of Rochester1788 The Seneca Indians ceded Oliver Phelps & Nathaniel Gorham 2,600,000 acres of landeast of the Genesee River and granted an additional 200,000 acres west of the river for a mill yard on condition that a mill be erected for their use. Phelps and Gorham conveyed 100 acres to Ebenezer (Indian) Allen who, in 1789, built a sawmill and gristmill on the One Hundred Acre Tract, fulfilling the agreement between the Seneca Indians and Oliver Phelps & Nathaniel Gorham (Phelps & Gorham Purchase).
City Hall Historic District:
Four buildings arranged in a 19th century civic complex are the 1. Old Rochester City Hall (Irving Place)(1874-1875), 2. Monroe County Courthouse (1894-1895) 3. Rochester Free Academy (1872-1873) 4. St. Luke's Episcopal Church (1824).The City Hall and Free Academy buildings were designed by Andrew Jackson Warner. The Monroe County Courthouse was designed by his son, J. Foster Warner. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
1. Irving Place
Old City Hall at Irving Place was designed by architect Andrew Jackson Warner. The Erie Canal ran alongside the building until its last season in 1919. The subway ran in the old canal bed while cars traveled on the road deck above it. In 1978 City government moved to the former Federal Building on Church Street.
2. 2nd Monroe County Court House
Designed by architect Merwin Austin. The cornerstone was laid in June 1850. The majority of the building was constructed of painted and sanded brick with Onandoga limestone composing the foundation, steps and pavement of the portico. A dome, topped by the statue of Justice completed the beautiful new facility.
3. Rochester Free Academy Building
In 1873, Andrew Jackson Warner, architect of the Powers Building, designed this High Victorian red brick building with Neo-Greek decorative motifs, a blue limestone foundation and a slate mansard roof. It is the fourth educational building on this site, deeded by Colonel Nathaniel Rochester.
4. St. Luke's Church (left)
Built in 1824, this Episcopal Church represents the transition form 18th century Colonial or Georgian styles to Gothic Revival. Colonel Nathaniel Rochester attended services and was Warden here.
5. Ebenezer Watts Building (left)
This Greek Revival House was probably designed in 1827 by Capt. Daniel Loomis for Ebenezer Watts, Rochester's first copper and tin smith. It is the oldest City building still standing on its original site.
6. Central Church of Christ (right)
Designed in 1871 by noted 19th century architect Andrew Jackson Warner, this modified Gothic Revival church incorporates Tiffany glass windows.
|Placed By||City of Rochester, NY - The Community Foundation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, September 5th, 2014 at 10:09pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 287486 N 4781266|
|Decimal Degrees||43.15430000, -77.61375000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 9.258', W 77° 36.825'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 9' 15.48" N, 77° 36' 49.50" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||585, 315|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 25 Fitzhugh St S, Rochester NY 14614, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.