Camacho's Place was opened for business on December 12, 1946 by Richard Camacho and his wife, Juanita. It is erected on the site of a former Seventh-Day Adventist church and school that had been damaged and abandoned following a major earthquake on December 31, 1926.
The building is an early example of sustainable construction, with many discarded materials used in its construction. The concrete floors are reinforced with steel from old automobiles and bed springs. Walls and ceiling beams are formed from surplus railroad ties. The heavy doors used to secure the building originated with the El Centro railroad station.
From its beginning, Camacho's Place served the farm workers of the Imperial Valley, not only as a restaurant and bar but also as a mercantile and pool hall. The store and pool hall closed in 1964 and the large front room housing them was converted to an additional dining area.
The good food was discovered by the farmers, the people in town and local military. Locals can count on meeting their friends when they go to Camacho's. From a humble beginning in the country, their renowned food has been sent worldwide from the place that is "hard to find but worth it".