Pioneer Samuel Feagin Sr. settled the Village of Midway in 1836. He came from Jones County, Georgia and established his residence at what is still called "The Old Feagin Place." Samuel purchased a large acreage of land and sold it to incoming settlers. He built a log cabin with rooms above where travelers were accommodated overnight. It was also used as a stagecoach stop for those traveling from Eufaula to Tuskegee. On July 11, 1813 the Midway Post Office was established and Samuel Feagin was the first postmaster. On February 23, 1870, the town of Midway was incorporated. The business part of Midway was originally built around a square. A fire destroyed most of this area. The settlers rebuilt their businesses and continued to grow and thrive with eight dry goods and grocery stores, two houses of entertainment, one livery, and a large manufacturing establishment for carriages and buggies. The lower section of Midway, at the Central of Georgia Railroad, was once called James, Alabama. On March 18, 1903, the Union Springs Herald stated the Town of Midway and James had grown not only in population but businesses that included a drugstore, cotton ginnery, dry goods, post office, Midway and James Bank, train station, funeral home, barber shop and town hall. A granite boulder, located at the intersection of Highway 82 and 51, marks the remnants of Midway's past. The marker was erected to commemorate the Jefferson Davis Highway and Soldiers of the Confederacy. Midway has several sites listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage, with one listed on the National Register of Historic Places.