The Alley Mill Hamlet
— Ozark National Scenic Riverways —The cold, clear water of Alley Springs churns from a funnel-shaped basin at an average flow of 81 million gallons per day. Because of its abundance of fresh water this site has been inviting to a variety of people through time. Archeological evidence suggests that native peoples have been present around the spring for centuries.
Early settlers built a grist mill at the edge of the spring about 1868. In 1894 the steel roller mill was constructed on the same site and still stands today. Steel rollers that ground the grain were powered by a turbine rather than a waterwheel. The turbine can be seen beneath the porch on the east side of the mill.The presence of a mill led to the addition of other services. After designation of a post office in 1884, the area became known as Alley. Eventually, the community that developed around the mill contained a general store, blacksmith shop, and school as well.Because of early preservation efforts Alley Spring Mill remains as a symbol of our heritage. In 1924 Alley Spring became one of our Missouri state parks. In 1964 it was given to the National Park Service by the State of Missouri and designated as part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, October 13th, 2014 at 5:05am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 638378 N 4111861|
|Decimal Degrees||37.14290000, -91.44190000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 8.574', W 91° 26.514'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 8' 34.44" N, 91° 26' 30.84" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 4500 Co Rd 106-423, Eminence MO 65466, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.