The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri

The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri (HM15VO)

Location: Marthasville, MO 63357 Warren County
Buy Missouri State flags at Flagstore.com!
Country: United States of America
Buy United States of America flags at Flagstore.com!

N 38° 37.628', W 91° 3.637'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 288 views
Inscription
"the party being extreemly anxious to get down ply their ores very well, we Saw Some cows on the bank which was a joyfull Sight to the party and Caused a Shout to be raised for joy at [blank] P M we Came in Sight of the little french Village called Charriton [Charrette]."
William Clark, September 20, 1806

On Sep. 20, 1806, the Lewis and Clark Expedition camped near this site on the return voyage of their epic trek across the continent. Only three days out from St. Louis, the men on the Corps of Discovery were eager to reach the ending point of the expedition, and for the previous two days they had foregone hunting and subsisted on pawpaws in order to waste no time in reaching the "settlements," (La Charrette), on the evening of Sept. 20.

As they pulled into the village at sunset the men raised a shout and received the permission of Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark to fire a salute. Three rounds were fired to hearty cheers. A party of five trading boats tied up at La Charrette returned the salute. These boats were bound for the Osage and Oto tribes (Sgt. John Ordway stated they were heading to the Omaha nation) and were under the command of two young Scotsmen from Canada. They generously provided the men with beef, flour and pork, and the French residents from the village brought milk and other items for the crew. One crafty resident sold the expedition two gallons of whiskey for the extortionate price of $8 in cash.

According to Clark, "every person, both French and americans Seem to express great pleasure at our return, and acknowledge them selves much astonished in Seeing us return. They informed us that we were Supposed to have been lost long Since, and were entirely given out by every person &c."

The captains did encounter discontent among the American settlers they met at the village over the difficulty they were having with the new U.S. territorial government getting their Spanish land grants confirmed. Lewis and Clark, as future territorial administrators, would soon become embroiled in this seething controversy that would drag on for several years prior to statehood.

Schenectady Boats
While at La Charrette, William Clark expressed his admiration for the boats of the party of Canadians that were tied to the river bank. During the trip up the Missouri River in 1804 to the winter camp at the Mandan villages, members of the expedition had to maneuver a large 55-foot long keelboat that Lewis had contracted to be built in Pittsburgh against the uncommonly rapid currents of the Lower Missouri River. By the end of this leg of the journey, both captains were ready to concede that the large, ungainly keelboat was not the ideal boat to take up this river. The boats Clark saw at La Charrette, however, seemed perfectly suited for the Missouri. These "schenectady" boats, as Clark termed them, were wide in proportion to their length, unlike the keelboat, which had a round bottom. They were smaller - 30 feet long by eight feet wide with pointed bows and sterns and flat bottoms. Because of this design, they were not prone to rolling on their sides when grounded on sandbars, which was a problem that constantly plagued the keelboat. And unlike the keelboat, which required 20 oars, these boats needed only six oarsmen. "I believe them [the Schenectady-type boats] to be the best Calculated for the navigation of this river of any which I have Seen."
Details
HM NumberHM15VO
Series This marker is part of the Lewis & Clark Expedition series
Tags
Placed ByNational Park Service, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Missouri Lewis and Clark Bicentennial Commission, and the William A. Kerr and Missouri State Parks Foundations
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Monday, October 6th, 2014 at 9:35pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)15S E 668819 N 4277184
Decimal Degrees38.62713333, -91.06061667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 38° 37.628', W 91° 3.637'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds38° 37' 37.68" N, 91° 3' 38.22" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)636
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 163 State Hwy D, Marthasville MO 63357, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What historical period does the marker represent?
  2. What historical place does the marker represent?
  3. What type of marker is it?
  4. What class is the marker?
  5. What style is the marker?
  6. Does the marker have a number?
  7. What year was the marker erected?
  8. This marker needs at least one picture.
  9. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  10. Is the marker in the median?