Cole Digges House, circa 1925

Cole Digges House, circa 1925 (HM15UO)

Location: Yorktown, VA 23690 York County
Country: United States of America

N 37° 14.103', W 76° 30.468'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 480 views
Inscription

Historic Yorktown

— Colonial National Historical Park —

"?an example of all that was fine and most lasting in Colonial domestic architecture?" Clyde F. Trudell, 1938

Throughout its long history, the Cole Diggers House served many roles in the village of Yorktown. Originally used as a residence and warehouse, in later years was a teahouse/store and the First National Bank of Yorktown.

In 1921, Mrs. Helen Paul of Michigan bought the building and four years later began a major remodeling project transforming the 200-year old building into its current appearance by applying the Colonial Revival style made popular at Colonial Williamsburg and reflected in original and reconstructed buildings along Main Street, including Swan Tavern, the Medical Shop, and the Nelson House. Colonial Revival elements include red brick, side lights at doorways, paneled or louvered wood shutters, and multi-sash windows. John H. Scarff, the architect who developed the plans for the building, stated that the "intention of this restoration (is) to preserve the spirit of an early Eighteenth Century cottage in all details."

There were major changes to the exterior and interior, including raising the first floor seven inches, altering the north end chimney to provide a window opening on the second floor, installing an entry to the basement from Reed Street, adding wood paneling on the first floor walls, and adding a skylight in the stairwell. Slate replaced the wood shingles to protect the building from catching fire and "to give the appearance of an older roof."

In 1968, the National Park Service acquired the building. Plans to repair the failing building included retaining the slate roof. However, the slate roof was replaced with wood shingles in 1978. In 2011, a simulated slate roof replaced the wood shingles, allowing for a more durable material and an appearance that more closely resembles the building's Colonial Revival restoration.

(captions)
Cole Digges House after its remodeling, circa 1930

The Cole Digges House as it appeared in the 1890s when Elizabeth Cooper operated a restaurant or teashop and store
Details
HM NumberHM15UO
Placed ByNational Park Service
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Wednesday, September 17th, 2014 at 7:49pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18S E 366251 N 4122012
Decimal Degrees37.23505000, -76.50780000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 37° 14.103', W 76° 30.468'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds37° 14' 6.18" N, 76° 30' 28.08" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)757
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 411 Main St, Yorktown VA 23690, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. This markers needs some tags to help categorize the marker
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. This marker could use another picture or two.
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?