of MalakoffOrganized in 1852 by the Rev. Hezekiah Mitcham (1800-1865), this fellowship began with six charter members who first held services in various locations throughout the county. In 1854 the small congregation erected one of the first Methodist church buildings in the county. A log cabin chinked with mud, it was located on land donated by Mitcham's son James in the small settlement of Caney Creek. The church was known as Mitcham Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and the community also came to be called Mitcham Chapel. The town later was named Malakoff for a village in Russia that had gained recognition during the Crimean War (1853-55). The congregation grew steadily in its early years and provided service and leadership to the community. In 1883 the membership agreed to move to the relocated town of Malakoff, which had moved 1.5 miles southwest of the original townsite when the railroad came through three years earlier. Several sanctuaries, including one destroyed in a 1933 tornado, have served the church since the move. From its small beginnings, the First United Methodist Church of Malakoff has grown, while maintaining its important ties to early Methodist history in Texas.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014 at 5:37pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 781936 N 3563229|
|Decimal Degrees||32.17028333, -96.01018333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 10.217', W 96° 0.611'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 10' 13.02" N, 96° 0' 36.66" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||903, 430|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 300-398 College St, Malakoff TX 75148, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.