The Barry Baptist Church congregation, originally organized as the Elam Baptist Church congregation, was established in September 1891 with seven charter members. The Rev. C. R. Roberts became the congregation's first pastor in June of 1892. Early services were held in a church structure one block northeast of this site. The congregation quickly became involved in county and statewide Baptist church affairs, affiliating with the Navarro County Baptist Association of the Baptist Convention of Texas in July 1892. Additionally, the congregation was able to institute a Sunday School program by 1895, under the leadership of J. M. Head, who served as first Sunday School superintendent. In 1916-17, during the pastorate of the Rev. A. W. Luper, the congregation built its second church structure at this site. Worship services have been held at this location since December of 1917. The Barry Baptist Church congregation has been involved in a variety of missionary activities over the years, concentrating on local mission programs, and it has played a prominent role in this community for over one hundred years.