The present church building was dedicated on January 6, 1943, by Rev. Sidney M. Metzger, Bishop of El Paso. Construction began in 1941 under Father Francis Juaniz with members of the parish donating over $10,000. Contributions by the Catholic Extension Society contributed to the success of the project. D.E. Bond, a contractor from Pecos, Texas, built the church using local labor and native stone. Members of the parish brought seashells, fossils, and decorative stone which were placed in the church fa?ade. In November, 2002, the parish celebrated its centennial anniversary.The Archives of Big Bend
The nearby Grotto was dedicated on October 16, 1949, by the parishioners to Our Lady of Peace as a sign of their devotion and a hopeful prayer for the conversion of Russia.
Bryan Wildenthal Memorial Library