Orianda House, built in 1857 at a cost of $9,170.69, was designed by Niernsee and Neilson, architects. This country mansion was the summer home of Thomas de Kay Winans, a wealthy railroad entrepreneur, and his Russian-born wife, Celeste Louise Revillon. Thomas, son of Baltimore & Ohio Railroad industrialist Ross Winans, purchased several farms to create the Crimea estate.
Tenants raised cattle, wheat, corn, and other crops and maintained Winans' greenhouse and horse racetrack. The Chesapeake Baltimore Outward Bound Program currently uses several of the estate buildings. The Friends of Orianda House maintain a museum room in this building. A Gwynns Falls Trail office is in the remaining tenant house.