In 1914, the University of Maryland, originally the Maryland Agricultural College, donated this land to establish the first state nursery. Fred W. Bosley, student of Gifford Pinchot (father of American Forestry), brought tree nursery science to Maryland as its first state forester. Silas Sines Sr., head nurseryman, pioneered methods for economically growing and replanting large numbers of trees. Thousands of trees grown here were replanted in Maryland's forests and along its roads. This contributed to the ecological restoration and beauty of landscape devastated from abusive logging and agricultural practices in the late 19th century. Collaborations between the University of Maryland (est. 1856) and the Maryland State Board of Forestry (est. 1906) led to important initiatives in conservation education that continue today. Dedicated April 5, 2006.