(The Cheverly Spring)According to tradition, the Magruder Spring was used by British troops marching along the river road toward Washington, D.C. on August 24, 1814 before the battle of Bladensburg. The Spring is located about 500 yard south of Mount Hope, the Fielder Magruder plantation house and was part of the plantation. It was the primary source of water for town residents in the early twenties. The site was set aside as town property and redesignated the Cheverly Spring by by Robert Marshall, founder of Cheverly, when he platted section 1 of the town in December, 1918.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 8:28am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 333987 N 4309492|
|Decimal Degrees||38.91865000, -76.91491667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 55.119', W 76° 54.895'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 55' 7.14" N, 76° 54' 53.70" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||240, 301|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 5726-5732 Winston St, Cheverly MD 20785, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.