First organized in 1875, Second Baptist was built on a one-acre site officially deeded to the church by Taylor N. Cox and wife, M. C. Cox, on April 9, 1885. The original architecture was of the front gable with central tower type. Changes included additional rooms and the enclosing of the vestibule. Church founders included Warren Williams, John Curry, Alfred Boxer Sr., Ed Curry, Aaron Hamilton, Bob Walker, Aaron Jordan, Jack Christian, and Susie Christian, with Donna Pruitt serving as first secretary.
Rev. J.H. Smith was pastor in 1910 when the church's name was changed to First Baptist Missionary Church. In 1938, its building began to be used as a site for classes and commencement programs for old Merritt Junior High School. During the 1960s, First Baptist was an important site for African American voter registration and other Civil Rights-related activities. The Church also played a significant role in the development of the Mt. Hebron Baptist Convention and the Missionary Baptist Association. As the only black Baptist church in Midway, First Baptist has been the site for conversions, marriages, funerals, religious conventions, and community events throughout its history.
Placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage December 4, 1992.
|Placed By||The Bullock County Historical Society and the Alabama Historical Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, September 29th, 2014 at 1:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 638825 N 3549734|
|Decimal Degrees||32.07535000, -85.52911667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 4.521', W 85° 31.747'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 4' 31.26" N, 85° 31' 44.82" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 224 Public St, Midway AL 36053, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.