Oak Harbor's early "town" was built along the waterfront, and stretched from Maylor's store along Pioneer Way to about a block east of the junction of Flintstone Freeway and Midway and Pioneer.
The east end of the town burned in a disastrous fire that started from a spark from Gil Kennedy's blacksmith shop on a hot day in July 1920.
A good half the town went, Byrne's hotel, Byrne's store, the blacksmith shop, creamery, "Cap" Sill's garage, and Dad Smith's little house.There was no fire department and at the cry of "Fire" everyone in town turned out to form a bucket-brigade from Alfred Maylor's house. The water was inadequate, everything burned. The Byrne Hotel was advertised in Seattle papers as a "resort" and had indoor plumbing, carpeting and brought many visitors via boat from Everett & Seattle.