On Sept. 25, 1864 Gen. N.B. Forrest's Confederate cavalry, with Morton's battery of 4 guns, attacked and captured the Union fort near here. The fort consisted of a square redoubt, rifle pits, two blockhouses, and some frame buildings. It protected a large railroad trestle about a mile E. of here. After a demand for surrender was refused by Col. Lathrop, the Union commander, the Confederates attacked, supported by 800 rounds of artillery fire. Over 200 Union officers and men, including Col. Lathrop, were killed in the onslaught. After the garrison of approx. 900 survivors surrendered, the trestle and blockhouses were destroyed.