(The Little Fort of Saint Joseph)About 1773, the Spanish garrison at Presidio del Norte, present Ojinaga, Mexico, established El Fortin de San Jose in this vicinity to protect local farmers. The settlement retained the name after the post was abandoned about 1810. After Ben Leaton had acquired extensive property in the area in 1848, the community came to be called Fort Leaton. Ben Leaton's fortress is all that remains of the old settlement. Fort Leaton is neither the site of the original Presidio del Norte nor the Spanish mission Apostal Santiago, as stated erroneously by earlier markers at this location.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 4:45pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13R E 565318 N 3268302|
|Decimal Degrees||29.54268333, -104.32583333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 29° 32.561', W 104° 19.55'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||29° 32' 33.66" N, 104° 19' 33.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 525 FM 170, Presidio TX 79845, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.