Beaumont Historical MarkerThe Flint Hills of Kansas are the last remnant of the great Tallgrass Prairie that once stretched from Texas to the Great Lakes. The calcium rich soil of the Flint Hills is renowned for its capacity to quickly fatten cattle in the spring. Beaumont, in 1910 had holding pens for 9,000 head of cattle that came and went by rail. This was before the days of feedlot grain fed cattle. At this time, Beaumont was a typical old western town. The Frisco had four eastbound and four westbound trains a day. The Beaumont Hotel, then known as the Summit Hotel because it was the highest point on the Frisco line from Ellsworth, Kansas to St. Louis, was used by the cattle barons from Texas and Oklahoma as well as travelers on the Frisco Railroad. It was used as headquarters for those who shipped cattle or brought cattle to fatten. While the cattle barons and ranchers stayed in the hotel, the cowboys camped outside.
|Placed By||Beaumont Hotel|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 10:19pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 717630 N 4170364|
|Decimal Degrees||37.65466667, -96.53293333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 39.28', W 96° 31.976'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 39' 16.80" N, 96° 31' 58.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 300 SE 116th Terrace, Beaumont KS 67012, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.