The portion of the tavern that remains today was built around 1790. It was moved from its original location sometime after 1838. After years as a private residence it was moved to this location in 1976.
The original Eagle Tavern operated during the colonial period and has since undergone many changes. Built as a private residence on the lot now occupied by the Andrew Jackson School, it was converted to a tavern called the "Sign of the Thistle" in the 1770s by William Martin. It subsequently went by many names and was operated by numerous individuals, including William Barksdale, John Hannon, and Thomas Gary.
Over the years the tavern grew with additions such as "Gary's long room," which hosted meetings, balls, and entertainers. The tavern undoubtedly housed members of the Provincial Congress when they met in Halifax to debate independence. In 1825 the Eagle Hotel, as it was then known, hosted one of the town's most glorious events, a visit from the Marquis de Lafayette.