Constructed in 1760, this building was given the name "Tap Room" by twentieth-century historians. It has had many names and alterations in the past, including "Pope's Hotel," which had an adjoining building containing 19 fireplaces and 9 chimneys. It has been restored to its original gambrel roof configuration.
In the early 1790s, the building served many functions. Auctions of enslaved people and property occurred here. The Royal White Hart Masonic Lodge met here. Physicians, dentists, tailors, and watchmakers worked on the premises, and students took dancing lessons here. In 1891, the building became a private residence, and remained so until the state purchased it in 1972.
The Historical Halifax Restoration Association raised many of the funds needed to restore the building and furnish it with period reproductions. The Tap Room was dedicated in 2001 to Ray Wilkinson, the Association's chairman for over 50 years.