Dick Sherbon of Ponca City received the bid to erect this building for the Kay County Abstract Company in 1926. The bids for the building ranged from $4,400 to $5,700.
This red brick structure was limited to one story because of the Masonic Temple to the south. The windows of the lodge rooms for the Temple were not to be blocked by a two story building. A decorative green facade at the top of the building resembles clay tile to give the building a Spanish flair.
Kay County Federal Savings and Loan was born during the Depression in the summer of 1934. Marion T. Rigdon was employed soon after the firm was organized and, except for a few years' military leave during World War II, managed the company until he retired in 1975.
Originally, Kay County Federal was located in the Albright Title & Trust building before moving across the street in the First National Bank building. In July of 1948, Kay County Federal purchased this building from the Bertha Meek estate for $4,500.
In 1974 Kay County Federal merged with Sooner Federal, the largest savings and loan in Oklahoma with assets over one billion dollars. In September of 1990, it became a division of First Gibraltar Bank, F.S.B., San Antonio.