Drum Point Lighthouse was built in 1883 to mark the northern approach to the Patuxent River. It was originally located due south of Drum Point, 120 yards offshore, on five acres of submerged land conveyed by Maryland to the federal government.
A white-painted hexagonal wooden structure was built on seven iron screwpiles. All parts were prefabricated and numbered, enabling assembly in only thirty-three days. A fourth-order Fresnel lens was installed and first lit on August 20, 1883, showing a fixed red light. The living quarters contained four equal-size rooms on the first floor-kitchen, sitting room, and two bedrooms. The second floor contained two additional rooms, one housing the bell striking mechanism. Four 200-gallon tanks collected water from the roof.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 20th, 2014 at 4:23pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 372094 N 4243576|
|Decimal Degrees||38.33120000, -76.46340000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 19.872', W 76° 27.804'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 19' 52.32" N, 76° 27' 48.24" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||410, 443|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 215 Lore Pines Ln, Solomons MD 20688, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.