Led by the Rev. H. A. Conway, a small group of Baptists established this congregation in July 1890. Beginning with about twenty charter members, the church has grown steadily over the years. Early worship services were held once a month. Eventually, services were increased to twice monthly, and finally to every week. The first sanctuary, built on this site in 1890, was replaced by a larger structure in 1906. After it was destroyed by a tornado in 1930, a brick building was erected. It served the congregation until 1979, when it was razed to make room for a new sanctuary.