1911Peking was launched in 1911 at Hamburg, Germany by the Blohm & Voss shipyard. She was owned by the F. Laeisz Company of that port, who used here to carry fuel and manufactured goods to the West Coast of South America, around Cape Horn, and return to European ports with nitrate mined in northern Chile. The nitrate was used to fertilize the worn-out fields of Europe and to manufacture chemicals for various applications, including munitions.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||South Street Seaport Museum|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 21st, 2014 at 8:29pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 584218 N 4506519|
|Decimal Degrees||40.70528333, -74.00305000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 42.317', W 74° 0.183'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 42' 19.02" N, 74° 0' 10.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||646, 212, 917, 845|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 16 E River Piers, New York NY 10038, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|