A Downers Grove Historic Site
— circa 1856 —In 1856, Samuel Curtiss donated part of his sheep pasture for use as a cemetery. He was later paid $15 for the land, money from individuals who formed a cemetery association in 1864. Nearly 100 members of Downers Grove's early families, including Israel Blackburn, a freedman, and members of the Blanchard, Curtiss and Wells families are buried here. The cemetery was used until 1939 when Emma Foster Miller was the last to be interred. It is one of the few American cemeteries located in a main business district.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||The Downers Grove Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 9:12pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 416053 N 4627277|
|Decimal Degrees||41.79291667, -88.01035000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 47.575', W 88° 0.621'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 47' 34.50" N, 88° 0' 37.26" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||630, 708|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 5168-5200 Main St, Downers Grove IL 60515, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|