Fort San Juan de la Cruz, commonly called "El Canuelo," was more than a simple artillery battery. It was a fort surrounded by water, designed to sustain a garrison for many days. It had embrasures (gun ports) for six cannon, and could accommodate up to 200 men, through typically only a dozen or so were probably stationed here.
A vessel delivers supplies to El Canuelo, while others rest beneath the fort's watchful eye. Until 1943, when the U.S. Army built up the island, El Canuelo was surrounded by water.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 1:54pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||19Q E 802445 N 2044206|
|Decimal Degrees||18.46661667, -66.13636667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 18° 27.997', W 66° 8.182'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||18° 27' 59.82" N, 66° 8' 10.92" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||787, 939|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 7120 PR-870, Toa Baja Toa Baja 00949, PR|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.