The park site's original residence was built in 1919 by the Puget Mill Company, and first owned by Joseph R. and Harriet B. Holt. In 1934, wanting to "live in the country," Mildred and Albert Humble and their two daughters, Janice and Mary, traded their Seattle home for the Holt's 2-room house on a five acre tract.
The Humble family's furnishings filled the little house to capacity, forcing them to sleep in the well house, which used to stand behind the main house. Renovations over the next 30 years included the addition of two bedrooms, a dining room, cellar and fireplace, and allowed the Humble family to completely move into the house.
Although Mr. Humble rode the Interurban to work every day in Seattle, a 45-minute train ride, the family was truly living on a farm now. They all pitched in taking care of the animals, building chicken coops, and working in the cherry orchard.
Located across the road from the Alderwood Manor Demonstration Farm, this was a significant farm of its time, and the original house was typical of the minimal accommodations provided by the Puget Mill Company for these pioneering families. The house has been preserved at Heritage Park as a residence typical of 1940's Alderwood Manor.