Buried here is George Washington McAllister (1781-1850), a prominent planter of Bryan County. In 1817, McAllister acquired Strathy Hall Plantation on the Ogeechee River where he cultivated rice and was one of the largest slave owners on Bryan Neck. McAllister built his plantation house, Strathy Hall, in 1838, restored by Henry Ford ca. 1940. McAllister and his neighbors, Thomas Savage Clay and Richard James Arnold, organized the Bryan Neck Presbyterian Church on this site in 1830. His son, Joseph L. McAllister, made available for Confederate forces the land at nearby Genesis Point on which Fort McAllister was built in 1861.