The Fayetteville Square served as the location of the Washington County courthouse from 1837 to 1904, when a new courthouse was built facing Center Street on College Avenue. Title to the public square (Block 27) was conveyed to the United States of America, and work on this post office, which began around July, 1909, was completed in 1911. Urban Renewal planners intended to tear this building down in 1974. The public objected. It was then purchased by Donald E. and Edna Bumpass in 1978. In cooperation with developers Keith Cearley and Ronald E. Bumpass, it was totally restored, renovated, and placed on the National Register of Historical Places. The building has been a focal point for redevelopment of the Fayetteville Square, and its preservation has drawn public attention to the significance of safeguarding the community's cultural heritage and architectural splendor.
Donald E. Bumpass and Edna P. Bumpass
National Register of Historic Places