The post hospital was prefabricated in St. Louis, shipped to Fort Hays by rail, and erected in November 1867. Initially a 36-bed hospital, it was enlarged in 1870 to accommodate 44 beds. A picket fence later enclosed the hospital complex, including the limehouse (morgue), well house, stable, outhouse, hospital steward's residence, and when conditions were favorable, a post garden.
In 1902 the Western Branch of the Kansas State Normal School of Emporia was located on the Fort Hays grounds and the hospital was used as the main classroom. Two years later the building was moved to the school's permanent location, now the campus of Fort Hays State University. After many years of use, the old hospital was torn down.