The massive quartermaster's complex was located 100 yards behind the sign. The complex included offices, noncommissioned staff quarters, warehouses, shops, and wagon shed. The quartermaster was in charge of all equipment, supplies, transportation, animals, and construction and building repairs, as well as the post inventory. His shops included those of the blacksmith, wheelwright, carpenters, and saddlers.
Quartermaster Reed is now superintending the erection of winter quarters, which are very ample and possess that air of comfort calculated to fill a soldier's heart with joy and satisfaction which are so very necessary, at this season of the year, to insure peace and harmony in a military camp.
- Junction City Weekly Union, November 30, 1867