One of the routes at this historic intersection is Glebe Road, developed in the 18-th century to connect Alexandria with northern Arlington. Columbian Turnpike was built in 1808 between the Long Bridge to Washington and the Little River Turnpike at Annandale. In the late 1850s, Louisa Hunter gave land on the norteast corner of the crossroads to a Methodist Church known as Hunter's Chapel. During the Civil War, Federal troops dismantled the church for its building materials after using the structure as a picket post, blockhouse, commissary, and stable. Following the Civil War the congregation used other buildings in this area. Today's successor, Arlington Methodist Church, stands two blocks to the north on Glebe road.