After the War of 1812
In 1818, Jacob Whetzel, his son Cyrus, and axmen cut an east-west trail that began near Laurel on the Whitewater River, crossed the Big Blue River near here, and ended near Waverly and the bluffs on White River. Settlers from east and south used this trace and helped establish Shelby, Rush, Johnson,Morgan, and Marion counties and the new capital at Indianapolis.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers series|
|Placed By||Indiana Historical Bureau, Shelby County Historical Society, and County Fourth Grade Students|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 10:18pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 605314 N 4384212|
|Decimal Degrees||39.60118333, -85.77335000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 36.071', W 85° 46.401'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 36' 4.26" N, 85° 46' 24.06" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||317, 765, 812|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 5101-5199 N 50 E, Shelbyville IN 46176, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|