Between 1829 and 1848, traders from Santa Fe used the Spanish Trail which passed through Parowan to transfer dry goods and captured Indian slaves to Los Angles, where they were exchanged for horses.
The trail was pioneered between 1776 and 1831 by four groups: The Dominguez-Escalante expedition, Antonio Armijo, Jedidiah Smith and William Woflskill. The opening of other routes to California brought trade to an end by 1848. Many modern hiways still follow the trail.
The route from here, through Paragonah, and up Little Creek Canyon, was marked by Parowan stake Boy Scouts in 1996, and was completed as an eagle project by Tom and Lance Carlisle in 1998.