In 1908 the Midland Bridge Company was awarded a contract in the amount of $3,299 to fabricate and erect the Hurricane/LaVerkin Bridge. This structure incorporates distinctive characteristics in its method of construction, is one of the earliest and longest surviving examples of rigid Warren pony truss-type bridge in the state of Utah, and retains its historical design, material, and workmanship.
The Hurricane/LaVerkin Bridge's historical role was that of a vital transportation link that contributed to the development of southwestern Utah. Prior to the building of the bridge, traveling from LaVerkin to Hurricane required crossing the stream bed of the LaVerkin Creek and the "treacherous" Virgin River. On April 7, 1908, the Washington County News described the importance of this bridge when it stated that the "steel bridge between LaVerkin and Hurricane is now being put up. When it is finished watch Hurricane grow. Come and walk on our steel bridge (the first in the County), bathe in our Sulphur Springs, view our beautiful scenery, walk through our orchards and vineyards".