Ulysses S. Grant National Historic SiteWhite Haven was the name given to both the house and the estate. Typical of many large plantations, other houses on the property were built and occupied by family members and slaves. White residents gave their houses special names. The slaves, however, did not give affectionate names to the one or two-room dwellings they occupied. These structures were simply referred to as cabins.
Julia's brother Louis built Wish-ton=Wish (a Native American word for whippoorwill) in 1848. It served as a temporary home for Ulysses and Julia in 1855 and on their visits to St. Louis during Grant's presidency. Fire destroyed the house in 1873.
Ulysses built a house in 1856 on 80 acres that Colonel Dent gave the Grants as a wedding gift, although no deed legalized the transfer. Julia did not like the crude log cabin, facetiously named Hardscrabble. They lived there only three months, returning to the main house upon Mrs. Dent;s death. The cabin is now located at Grant's Farm.
This slave cabin from a neighboring farm is typical of cabins in the area. Documents indicate that as many as twelve slave cabins were located behind the main house, perhaps across the small creek in what is today Forest Haven subdivision. Later records suggest that these cabins were demolished during Grant's ownership.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, September 3rd, 2014 at 2:34pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 730789 N 4270398|
|Decimal Degrees||38.55208333, -90.35156667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 33.125', W 90° 21.094'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 33' 7.50" N, 90° 21' 5.64" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||314, 636|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 9060 Whitehaven Dr, St. Louis MO 63123, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.