First County Seat of Baldwin County, 1806-1807
— And Putnam County, 1808-1809 —The community of Hillsborough served as the site of the first county seat of Baldwin County in 1806 and later Putnam County after Putnam was created from Baldwin in December, 1807, but there is no known record that official County functions were conducted until 1808. The Baldwin seat moved to Milledgeville. The log cabin home of George Hill was used as the courthouse where elections as well as court sessions were held. The community consisted of four log cabins, a jailhouse, a blacksmith shop, a store and a saloon. Judge Peter Early, who would become a Georgia State Senator, U.S. Congressman, and the Governor of Georgia before he died at age 44, conducted the first session of the Superior Court in July, 1806. In the first session two soldiers were convicted of stealing fish from a trap and were hanged for the crime and buried in Hillsborough. One woman was punished for being a scold and shrew by being dunked in the river three times.
|Series||This marker is part of the United Daughters of the Confederacy series|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, September 25th, 2014 at 1:15pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 287336 N 3691855|
|Decimal Degrees||33.34490000, -83.28521667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 20.694', W 83° 17.113'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 20' 41.64" N, 83° 17' 6.78" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||706, 478|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 159 Old Phoenix Rd NE, Eatonton GA 31024, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.