In 1175 the building upon the ground adjacent hereto was used as a store.
Upon the fall of Charles Town in 1780 the British seized the store, fortified it, and established here "The Post at the Congarees."
Attacked Feb. 19, 1781, by Gen. Sumter, who on the 21st, destroyed the magazine and supplies in sight of Rawdon's Army across the river, he having come from Camden to relieve the post.
Captured by Lee, May 15, 1781
Reoccupied by Rawdon, July 1, 1781
Reoccupied by Greene, July 4, 1781
Erected by William Capers Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution Columbia, S.C. May 15, 1925