Generals and GhostsBeginning in 1862, Confederate Gens. Braxton Bragg, Daniel Ledbetter, and Joseph E. Johnston, followed by Union Gens. William S. Rosecrans and George H. Thomas, occupied the Greek Revival-style Richardson house, which stood nearby at 320 Walnut Street. When Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grant arrived in Chattanooga on October 23, 1863, he first made his headquarters there. Grant soon moved to the nearby T.J. Lattner house here at the corner of 1st and Walnut Streets. Lattner served in the Confederate army, and following the arrival of Union forces, his wife, Josephine, and their children moved to Georgia. Grant remained in the Lattner house while he planned the attacks that drove the Confederate army from Chattanooga. After Grant departed late in 1864 to take overall command of the Union armies, Gen. William T. Sherman used the house as his headquarters and there prepared plans for the pivotal campaign that led to the capture of Atlanta.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Tennessee: Tennessee Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Tennessee Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 8:13pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 654302 N 3880532|
|Decimal Degrees||35.05573333, -85.30798333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 3.344', W 85° 18.479'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 3' 20.64" N, 85° 18' 28.74" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 145 Cherry St, Chattanooga TN 37403, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|