Camp JonesFrom August through November of 1861, thousands of Confederate soldiers filled the acres surrounding Bristoe Station. These men belonged to the brigades of Brig. Gens. Henry Whiting and Cadmus Wilcox. This encampment was named Camp Jones after Col. Egbert Jones of the 4th Alabama Infantry, who died from wounds suffered at the First Battle of Manassas. Bristoe served as an ideal location for a large encampment, as it was near a fresh water source and close to the vital Orange and Alexandria Railroad. Camp Jones probably consisted of numerous unit encampments spread out around the Bristoe Station area.
|Placed By||Prince William County Department of Public Works, Historic Preservation Division|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 6:31am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 278747 N 4289461|
|Decimal Degrees||38.72613333, -77.54515000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 43.568', W 77° 32.709'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 43' 34.08" N, 77° 32' 42.54" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 10549 Bristow Station Dr, Bristow VA 20136, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.