(Mound C)Native American Indian of the Mississippian culture were buried in this cemetery mound sometime in the A.D. 1200s. First excavated in 1932 by owner Col. Fain King, the mound was referred to as "Mound C". A building was constructed over the exposed burials and placed on display for many decades. In 1991, the remains were taken from public view out of respect to native American Indians, and to be in compliance with federal laws that protect Indian burial mounds. Plastic replicas of the burial were then put on exhibit in the cemetery building. In 2011, after many years of consultations with Native American tribes and research collaborations with archaeologist, Kentucky State Parks reburied the remains in this mound in partnership with Murray State archaeologist, Dr. Kit Wesler and with the Chickasaw Nation overseeing the process. The building was dismantled and the mound restored.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 21st, 2014 at 2:47am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 313777 N 4093741|
|Decimal Degrees||36.97136667, -89.09203333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 36° 58.282', W 89° 5.522'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||36° 58' 16.92" N, 89° 5' 31.32" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1840 Great River Rd, Wickliffe KY 42087, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.