< ——— <<<<Established in 1805, Poplar Springs Baptist Church, "Mother Church" of the Tugalo Baptist Assn., began in May of that year. Some of the first members were Joseph Chandler, Thomas Wilkins, John Nail, John Mullins, and James Jackson. John Cleveland, Thomas Gilbert, Francis Calloway, Jr., were early pastors. Many landowners and slaves were members. The slave cemetery is to the right of the church on the Yow estate. On Sept. 12, 1818, delegates from 13 churches met here to form the Tugalo Baptist Assn. of the Southern Baptist Convention. The present auditorium was erected in 1873. The educational building was built in 1955.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 19th, 2014 at 9:23pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 306217 N 3820266|
|Decimal Degrees||34.50583333, -83.11081667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 30.35', W 83° 6.649'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 30' 21.00" N, 83° 6' 38.94" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 3821 Gumlog Rd, Lavonia GA 30553, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|