Revolution in the Mohawk ValleySir William Johnson built Johnson Hall in 1763 as the center of a grand estate. He was made a British baronet for his role in the French & Indian Wars, a title his son, John, inherited upon his death in 1774.By December 1775, rebel unrest led John Johnson to stockade his house with swivel guns and artillery. The new Continental Congress ordered General Philip Schuyler to take the arms of any Loyalists in Tryon County and to "apprehend their chief." On January 18, 1776, Schuyler and Colonel Herkimer led 3,000 troops and militia to Johnstown where they disarmed Johnson and a Loyalist force of about 400 men.The Tryon County Committee of Safety eventually ordered Sir John's arrest. Warned by friends, he fled to Canada in May with a large group of Loyalists. His pregnant wife and young son were imprisoned in Albany, escaping in the middle of the winter. Johnson returned to the region several times leading British military raids.The Third New Jersey Regiment took possession of Johnson Hall in 1776. Eventually all of the Johnson estates were sold at auction, generating ₤3,576 for New York State, about $894,000 in 2008 dollars.
|Placed By||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, Historic Preservation, and Heritage New York, and Mohawk Valley Heritage Corridor, and NBT Bank|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 6:08pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 550282 N 4762692|
|Decimal Degrees||43.01525000, -74.38295000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 0.915', W 74° 22.977'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 0' 54.90" N, 74° 22' 58.62" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 151 Hall Ave, Johnstown NY 12095, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.