The signal displayed here was made by the Union Switch & Signal Company of Pittsburgh, PA, sometime in the 1930's, and was used on the Pennsylvania Railroad's New York & Long Branch Railroad in New Jersey. It was donated to the Black River Railroad Historical Trust (BRRHT) by Rill Rapp of Holmdel, New Jersey.
Tall switch stands, like the one displayed here, were used to change the position of the tracks and thus enabled trains to switch tracks. They were used primarily along mainlines rather than in yards. The metal flag, called a target, let the engineer see, from a distance, which way the switch was set. Some tall switchstands had lanterns on top of them for nighttime usage. This switchstand was from the Erie Railroad and was donated to the BRRHT by Frank Capalbo of Nutley, New Jersey.
In years past, a dispatcher controlled these signals and switchstands from a signal tower next to the tracks; today, the dispatcher sits in front of a computer in a dispatch center.
The signal and switchstand were restored by Oliver Shortridge, Troop 99, as his Eagle Scout Service Project with the generous support of Mr. Bob Rowe of Rowe Electric.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Black River Railroad Historical Trust|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, October 13th, 2014 at 7:32pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 510885 N 4476110|
|Decimal Degrees||40.43556667, -74.87165000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 26.134', W 74° 52.299'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 26' 8.04" N, 74° 52' 17.94" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||908, 609|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 244 State Rte 579, East Amwell Township NJ 08551, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|