Members of the Mantooth family came to Angelina County in 1858. Albert Edwin (Eddie) Mantooth (1874-1969) was born in Homer, Angelina County, to Albert and Mary Richard Hall Mantooth. In 1897, Eddie married Sarah Annie Atkinson Mantooth (1879-1914). In 1909, they bought an 11-acre farm on the outskirts of the original Lufkin townsite. The farm produced crops, cows, chickens, mules, and horses that provided an income from trade in Lufkin. In addition to agricultural responsibilities, Eddie also served the community as the tax assessor from 1908-1912 and tax collector from 1918 to 1924. Following the death of Eddie's first wife, Sarah, he married Olera Wisely (1895-1964) in 1920.
Descendants of Eddie Mantooth and their families served the City of Lufkin for many years. Ernest Peyton Medford (1904-1976), the husband of Josie Ethel Mantooth (1907-1934), assisted the community with finances as the head of Lufkin's only saving and loan. Willie Calvin Royle (1907-1972), the husband of Annie Jewel Mantooth (1908-1997), was a well-known educator and served as a teacher and principal of Lufkin High School. The Royles also operated the W.C. Royle Company, an office machine and supply sales company, at this site for over forty years. John Milton Hickman (1909-1978, husband of Rennie Mae Mantooth (1911-2000), assisted with the Gulf pipeline through East Texas that supplied gas and oil during World War II. All three daughters lived in homes on this land and are remembered in the community for their charitable contributions. Mantooth Farm and their families associated with it helped the town of Lufkin grow and prosper throughout the Twentieth Century. 175 years of Texas Independence * 1836-2011Marker is property of the State of Texas