Gasconade County was created by an act of Missouri legislature, November 25, 1820. Daniel Morgan Boone, son of Daniel Boone, was appointed the first commissioner of the county to locate the site for the county seat and county jail. Gasconade City was selected as the first county seat. In 1825 the county seat was moved to Bartonville in what is now Osage county. The County seat was moved to Mount Sterling in 1828, and in 1842 it was moved to Hermann at which time the first building was built on this site. The present building was dedicated in 1898. This building was a gift by Charles D. Eitzen, a local merchant, who left $50,000 in his will for the new building. It is believed to be the only courthouse in the United States built entirely with private funds.