Jackson's Huntersville LineHuntersville (three miles northwest of here) in January 1862. Camp Northwest became Confederate Col. William L. Jackson's headquarters and a supply depot for the outposts under Jackson's command. Called the Huntersville line, it stretched from the northern end of Pocahontas County to the southern end. On August 23, 1863 Union Gen. William W. Averell's forces captured and burned Camp Northwest prior to his march toward Lewisburg and his defeat at the Battle of Dry Creek at White Sulphur Springs. In his official report, Averell wrote. "Camp Northwest was burned and destroyed, with commissary buildings and stores, blacksmith shops, several wagons, a number of Enfield rifles, gun equipments, and a quantity of wheat and flour at a mill near by. A large number of canteens, stretchers, and hospital supplies fell into our hands." Jackson soon reoccupied the area, where he remained until ordered to the Shenandoah Valley in 1864.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the West Virginia Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||West Virginia Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, October 6th, 2014 at 8:19pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 589121 N 4224627|
|Decimal Degrees||38.16515000, -79.98265000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 9.909', W 79° 58.959'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 9' 54.54" N, 79° 58' 57.54" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 5390-5452 Co Rte 39/5, White Sulphur Springs WV 24986, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|