Claude and Starck, Architects
— 1925; 1934 —Breese Stevens Field, named for the former Madison mayor whose family donated the land, is significant as the city's premier athletic facility from 1926 through the 1960s. The grandstand, designed by prominent Madison architects Claude and Starck in the Mediterranean Revival style, was constructed of brick, terra cotta and clay tile with bleacher seating of reinforced concrete. The stands accommodated close to 4,000 baseball fans on opening day. The sandstone wall surrounding the field, built in 1934, is significant as a Great Depression era Civil Works Administration project.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Wisconsin: Madison Landmarks Commission series|
|Placed By||The Madison Landmarks Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 19th, 2014 at 3:27am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 306805 N 4772728|
|Decimal Degrees||43.08266667, -89.37338333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 4.96', W 89° 22.403'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 4' 57.60" N, 89° 22' 24.18" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 899-927 E Washington Ave, Madison WI 53703, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|