In 1870, ground was broken for the three-story Fishback Block on the site of Jeremiah Kannady's blacksmith shop which manufactured Bowie knives for the Confederate Army. The builder, future Gov. William Meade Fishback (1831-1903), named the 7,000 square foot third floor ballroom after his wife, Adelaide Miller Fishback. Adelaide Hall quickly became the scene of grand balls, beautiful dinner parties, wedding receptions, public meetings and firey political gatherings. City Hall was relocated here. In 1885 the building burned to the ground, Fishback's new two-story building in the same style would be named Adelaide Hall in honor of his wife who had died three years earlier. 110 years later, Adelaide Hall was purchased and completely restored by Richard and Jaunice Griffin.