The North Carolina Armory at Florence, was located 1/4 east. Commanded by Captain Z.S. Coffin, the armory converted hunting rifles into military arms, repaired broken guns, and assembled new guns between 1862 and 1865. On April 11, 1865, a detachment of the 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment, under the command of Captain Adam Kramer and Lieutenant Ed Smith, destroyed the armory, which at that time contained 800 completed guns and 2500 partially completed.
Erected January 19, 1989 by the Col. John Sloan Camp, 1290 Sons of Confederate Veterans