Known to the Ojibway Indians as Moningwunakauning, "The Home of The Golden Breasted Woodpecker"The largest of the Apostle Islands was one of the earliest areas of Indian settlement, fur trade, missionary activity and commercial fishing in the interior of North America. It was discovered by French explorers in 1659. Trading posts were built here for the French by Le Sueur in 1693 and for the British by Michel Cadotte in 1793. In 1834 this site and present La Pointe dock became headquarters for the Northern Outfit of the American Fur Company. Missionary operations began about 1830 with the erection of a Protestant Church followed by Father Baraga's Catholic Church.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Wisconsin: Wisconsin Historical Society series|
|Placed By||Madeline Island Historical Museum|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 2:12am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15T E 668832 N 5183117|
|Decimal Degrees||46.78023333, -90.78828333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 46° 46.814', W 90° 47.297'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||46° 46' 48.84" N, 90° 47' 17.82" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 226 Colonel Woods Ave, La Pointe WI 54850, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|